Thursday, December 17, 2009

Clinton Ponderings

I don't have a huge message today, but I do have a few Clinton-esque things to comment on.

Why is it that one lesson I do great, and the other, I can't get it together? Monday night, I was late, couldn't find any of Clinton's stuff, keep my feet in the stirrups, make him get on the bit very well or trot at any pace faster than a skip. I left feeling frustrated with myself, and worried I wasn't progressing. Wednesday night (even though I had the same tack issues and lateness....stupid traffic), I did great. Clinton was on the bit for 90% of the lesson, my hands and feet stayed still, and we did great. It's not always Monday that I struggle, it varies from week to week. I am hoping I can get it all together. And I suspect my love of The Nanny reruns at midnight are affecting my alertness, which is probably why I'm having trouble. Sigh. Better get to bed earlier, and DVR The Nanny. :)

Even though Clinton is a dream in general, I have discovered that he bloats! This is when a horse puffs out his gut and holds his breath, making it impossible to strap on a girth. VERY frustrating! At first, I just thought that since he has such a big barrel, that he needed a large girth. But after the second lesson, and using the same girth from Monday, my instructor, Stephanie, told me he might be bloating. So I strapped on the girth, securing it on the lowest hole, and hoped she was right. When we got to the mounting block, the girth had a noticeable space between itself and Clinton. So now I know I am not crazy.....the girths do fit him. It's he who is the crazy one! :)

On another note....how do horses get SO DIRTY?! I mean, I know the mechanics of it all, but I cannot believe the amount of muck that clings to their bodies. And with such determination! Clinton hadn't been ridden on Wednesday, and when I went to get him out of his stall, I found an orange horse. ORANGE. (Georgia red clay, everyone!) Well, except for the bits not covered by blanket. And it was caked and matted in every inch of hair. I had to admit, the sight of the orange legs and head, and the brown body, were a hilarious sight to see. Did he have the good grace to look ashamed? Heavens, no! He nickered at me happily and batted those big brown eyes of his, as if to say, "Hi friend! I spent the whole day rolling in the mud and it was WONDERFUL!"

I spent a good 20 minutes trying to get the worst of it off, so that I could ride him without a dust cloud hovering over his body. After the lesson, I decided to really get the muck off, and spent another 20 minutes brushing out his mane, tail and feathers. Pleased with his shining coat and glossy tail, I shook out his blanket, strapped it on, and sent him to his stall.

I just know the first thing he'll do today is roll around in some wet mud, happily caking the Georgia clay all over him again. Silly horse. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment