Thursday, February 12, 2015

On Writing

If the title of this blog seems familiar to you, it's actually the title of Stephen King's book about being an author.  It's actually a favorite of mine. He's no nonsense, and really makes you think about what you should be writing, how much, and how to write.

All this to say, I am taking a page out of King's book, and am writing my own.

All my life, I've wanted three things: 1) to go to the Kentucky Derby (DONE. Twice!); 2) Do something for the good of others; and 3) Write a book.

So here I am.

I've been "writing" this particular book for years. It started with a short story in college, written hastily. I got a good grade on it, but the teacher felt I rushed the story, and there was more to write. He was correct. But I took that story, put it in a folder, and while it's never far from my mind, it has stayed in that folder, moving with me from place to place.

It wasn't until a few months ago that I pulled out the short story. Our local library had a contest for the county writer's club, for best short story, and best poems. I wrote and submitted a few poems, but when I tried to flesh out the short story for the contest, I realized it was not a short story. It was the novel I should be writing.

So I re-read it, and started re-tooling it. And I love the direction it's going so far.

I haven't written too much yet; only about 14 pages or so. It's also a bit of a ramble. But I am trying to take King's advice: to try to put down at least 1,000 words every day. It's hard to do so, and even harder to get the motivation to sit at the computer and write.

But I'm trying. :)

It's not that what I'm writing isn't interesting, or something I just am throwing down. It's just that I find I have so little free time, and there are so many things pulling at me: crafts, cleaning, TV, reading....you get it.

And another thing: I am not a confident person. I think I am a good writer, and generally, I'm proud of what I do put down on paper (or computer). But there's always this voice inside me saying: "This isn't good. You'll never get published." And I am ashamed to admit, I listen to this voice more often than not.

"Take a deep breath, and clear your head, " I demand to myself (And luckily, I'm sitting at home alone, while my child is napping. I don't know if that makes me crazier for talking to myself).

What is the book about, you ask? Well, roughly, it's a bout a woman coming to grips with the sadness of losing the most important people in her life through her memories.

(That's about all I want to say for now. In case there are trolls out there who want the idea. Although, that is probably silly, so forgive my paranoia.)

I have high hopes for the story, and hopes that I can finish and publish it before I'm 90.

So with inspiration in my head, and King's book in the shelf next to me, I am typing away, each day, and watching my story grow.  It's an exciting thing, trying to write a book. Heck, it's exciting to see the word count grow! Most of all, I am enjoying watching my characters grow and bloom; hoping they are giving me the gumption to grow and bloom as well.

I'll keep you all posted, and hopefully, one day, I can share with you a real, bound, published book. Or at least, a Kindle copy. (Thank goodness for Amazon!!)






No comments:

Post a Comment