Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Validation

On my last post, I wrote that I was, well. Writing.

And one of the things that has kept me from truly writing was doubt in myself.

Monday morning, a little of the doubt was erased.

In November, I was at the library, and I happened to glance over at the bulletin board in the hallway. Posted there was a flier for a writing contest in my county. Something told me I should apply. At first, I decided to write a short story. But that story ended up being something that needed more than 3,000 words to say. So I wrote three poems. One was about the Kentucky Derby champion Ferdinand. The other was about my son. The third was about my childhood room and missing my mother.

That one, called "Painted Memories", won Honorable Mention.  The chairwoman of the contest sent me an email with congratulations, as well as letting me know she would confirm the date of the awards ceremony.

Yes, I know its a small contest. And I also know it's first or second. I'll get a certificate, and that will be that.

But I am bursting with pride. I do not consider myself a Poetess. I find poems to be hard to write, and hard to read. I also haven't entered anything I've written in any contest since I was in grade school. So to have been recognized my first time out, with a poem written about my mother, is a huge accomplishment.


Here is my poem:

Painted Memories

Fingers run along the wall
Remembering painting there
Long gone.

Stripes of mauve
Flowers of blue
Hues she picked for you.

What you wouldn’t give
To have those stripes back
What you wouldn’t give

To have her back.

A tear slides down
While fingers feel outlines
You miss your childhood.

A time when life was whole
When health was good
And laughter reigned.

Things will never be the same.

She’s long gone.
The stripes long gone.
Painted over in white.

Still, like a memory
The old paint shines through
Reminding you

She’s not out of mind.

Smile sadly.
Weep quietly.
And remember.

The good things never fade.
People die.
Paint dries.


A mother’s love never.


Getting Honorable Mention has made me confident enough to start thinking about entering more contests, and putting myself out there more. Sure, I know I won't win every time...heck, I may never win again! But it's given me a push.

And it's also made me want to buckle down and really get my novel rolling.

Dear readers, is there anything you've done that has validated your passion? Big or small, let me hear from you!

PS....as I write this, my Weather Channel app is warning me of heavy snow here in the Carolinas. I hope all of you, wherever you are, you are staying safe, dry and warm. And I'm jealous of you who are getting no snow!!



No comments:

Post a Comment